No, no, no, no.
Do not change permissions on files you do not know who they belong to.
It's likely her problem is/was that she simply gave ownership of her home
folder/documents folder to another user on her machine (since a reinstall
didn't fix the problem)
Performing an ls -l in the home directory won't tell you who owns the home
folder, (though it will tell you who owns all the folders inside it such as
documents, desktop, and the like) If they are owned by the user, all is well
there, so do a cd .. (that's a cd followed by 2 periods to go up one directory
level)
then do ls -l again, find your home folder name, and look to see who owns it,
and what it's permissions are.
It should be owned by your username, and it should show something like
dwrxr-xr-x
This shows that it's a directory, has permissions 755 (read/write/execute for
the user, and read/execute for everyone else.
If you're the only user, then you're good (unless they've been given to root)
In that case, you'll need to chown user folder_name (as root) to change
ownership back to the proper user.
You would use the sudo command to run the chown command in that case.
However, there is no need to change permissions on every single file/folder to
755, that just opens up all kinds of issues.
Don't give more permissions than are necessary to do the job, and 755 (for
normal files) is too much permission.