Hi Brian,

While running software firewalls on the pc I found a few games would
crash if they where deigned access to the tcp stack.
Empire Earth is one that would take down the machine in a way similar to
what you describe, perhaps the network problem has something to do with
it. Looking at the games requirements, even 2mb video should work.

You would have more than 100mb of swap space? Had to ask after a job
last week. :)
You might try, say the Doom demo, that will run on almost anything and
puts its hooks into tpc. If it fails then I'd fix the network and try again

http://www.pcsetup2x.com/support/support_manual.html clearly states that
95A is not compatible with 2.1.7 not sure about 1.6.4 sorry for the
misinformation, thought I could hear Gregg.
Other than those suggestions I cant think of anything else that might
help. I'm over my download cap for the month but I'll try the Diablo
demo on our card and VPC, let you know how I get on