Mark D. Chapman wrote:

I am contemplating upgrading my 7500 (running an Apple P166 card). However, I still need to run the odd windows program (mostly network programs that require little horsepower). However, I want to be able to run the Windows programs at least as fast as the P166.

My question is what is the cheapest Mac I can buy that will get me about P166 speeds under emulation?

Thats a good question? I've only used emulation on G3's and I dont think the performance was that good, the dos cards onboard memory and video give it a fair edge over emulation

Alternatively, what is the last tower that I can put my P166 card into?

From what little I know, OSX is the biggest limiting factor for new world macs. No drivesr that I've seen have been writen to access the card. The PcSetup crew where going to change that oneday, I'd be happy if they just made some ppc-linux drivers for it. Cant rememeber if I've tried to start pcsetup while using MoL.

http://homepage.mac.com/olivers/DOScard/DOScard.html
as you will see here they have a small paragraph about what to do if your new mac has no floppy, take out imacs as the card can't fit and your left with a few good model macs that this may apply to.

Use the internet archieve to help find dead links on this page. From memory Apple has a bit of info on their site about pc card support. Strange really, imagine what they could do with a dos card now, while M$ sells VPC.