Caleb Cupples wrote:

Well, to be honest, I've never had any luck getting a Mac to share a connection with a Windows machine, or vice versa. However, I'd say it's the PC at fault, based on the symptoms given. The ethernet port is a good place to start, in my humble opinion. Also, and this isn't a fix to your problem, but it might be a good idea to switch to Firefox on the PC. However, back to your problem. Next, you may like to go into the network settings and setup your network as a new one... That worked when I had to connect my Lombard to my HP Pavilion a520n and it wouldn't see the Mac...

If files can be shared from the ibm, chances are the ethernets ok.
Sounds more like a DNS addressing error. The power here goes down every other week then comes back up as quickly, this plays havoc with the switches (all the pc's stay down until powered up again). I will get different machines able to connect to the net while some wont. All will fileshare. The fix is to turn the switch off and back on after a minute or so.

If the connection is wireless it would be wise to reinstall the driver software and utils.

Lastly when you highlight the "local connection" in the network control panel - what IP address and subnet is displayed at the bottom left under "details"

DHCP is nice and easy - Static addressing is just reliable.