New to this list. I should certainly read through some of the archives
but I had an issue come up recently that is going to spark this
question in my mind, which leads to my fingers, which leads to this
email which leads to this list.

First of all, why are there separate versions of OOo for PPC and Intel
macs? Can't a Universal Binary be created? Why is the version 3.1.1
not at release status for PPC while it is for intel? It's been 2
months... And the language specific builds on p2p distribution are
french and german but not english. No spanish? I digress.

The requirements for the mac version on the main website are clearly
wrong. It says intel CPU required, when there's a whole separate build
with separate languages and versions for PPC vs Intel. It also says
400 megs of HD space when the program itself is slightly more, and the
downloaded dmg will take up space before it's deleted. Better to say
500-600 but that's a moot point. Has anyone actually tried running
this program with only half a gig of ram? I'm willing to try but 1.25
gigs is already pushing luck.

I downloaded a Release Candidate of 3.1.1 for PPC and installed it
(Build 9420). It had a curious Ø "Oh with slash through it" indicating
the program is not for my architecture. Very Strange. I was certain
I'd gotten the PPC version. I launched it. It runs. Everything is
fine. After two launches the wrong architecture symbol mysteriously
vanished. Other than that, and the fact that it won't print to save
it's life (No Printer Found) the program works perfect.

All of this said, with very minor nit-picking problems I outlined
above, everything is doing great!

I would like to volunteer my machine for any purposes needed. I can
grant ssh access, and run a tinderbox client. I can test and build,
whatever's needed. I will give the machine specs.

PowerMac Quicksilver
Model Name:     Power Mac G4
Model Identifier:       PowerMac3,5
Processor Name: PowerPC G4  (2.1)
Processor Speed:        800 MHz
Number Of CPUs: 2
L2 Cache (per CPU):     256 KB
L3 Cache (per CPU):     2 MB
Memory: 1.25 GB
Bus Speed:      133 MHz
Boot ROM Version:       4.2.5f1

Running Leopard 10.5.8
Developer Tools 3.1.4

It is on 24/7 with a reboot every few days. The CPU time is roughly 75% wasted.