Hi Florian, * (especially Martin and Dániel (or Darabos, no idea what
is First and Family name :-)

On Sat, Jun 26, 2010 at 6:04 AM, Florian Ludwig Heckl
<flor...@florian-heckl.de> wrote:
> Hi Christian,
>
>> [x] OOo should continue to use system python, regardless of problems
>> accessing pyuno from outside OOo
>> [ ] OOo should use internal python, ship with its own copy of python
>> (increases download size)
>> [ ] I don't care - you should do a poll on the user-focused lists instead.
>
> The only thing that could make me switch to internal python would be if it
> really was easier
> for external scripts to successfully "import uno" (is it?)

Well - for Mac OSX 10.6 (not sure about 10.5) using OOo-shipped python
is the *only* way for external scripts to successfully import uno.

I failed to get system python to work on 10.6, no matter what
environment variables I used.

So yes, it definitely is easier to use OOo's own python. You have to
run python from OOo's installation, and that is not in your PATH, so
you have to specify the path to the python executable (or better: the
wrapper that sets the corresponding environment variables for
bootstrapping to work, etc), but that is the only "difficult" thing
about it.

And as said: The only way to get it work from outside.

While Mac OS 10.6 indeed still ships with python 2.3 stuff (that is
what OOo builds against by default since that is the latest available
on Mac OSX 10.4, the baseline for OOo), it doesn't ship with a full
python 2.3
You can initialize a python-runtime from within your application
flags, similar to creating a JVM from your application code, but you
cannot run a python 2.3 environment from a terminal/a shell.
(At least I did not manage to do so)

> or if one of the OOo supplied extensions (what do we have here?) needed a
> later python version.

No idea, don't think that extensions really require a newer python.

> In the early mac port times I was very much in favor of minimizing external
> dependencies
> but if we don't gain anything then let's rather reduce download size.

<nitpick>s/reduce/not increase/</nitpick>

We gain the ability to use pyuno from outside OOo on 10.6 (and maybe 10.5)

I'd more than happy if anybody can give me a commandline to "import
uno" with system python (i.e. with OOo as you can download currently).

(again: no problem if you execute that macro from within OOo, the
problem is when you want to use it from outside, i.e. use uno to
bootstrap (=start) OOo, or attach to OOo listening on a TCP port) and
then remote-control it)

for Tools|Macros → run there is no problem (works on all versions of Mac OSX)

ciao
Christian