Hi *,

2010/6/24 Darabos Dániel <darabos.dan...@gmail.com>:
> +1 for system Python.

As to Mac's support for older python runtimes, see the other post: It
is not complete. I'd even say it is totally broken. It is only for
binary-applications that link against older python runtimes, but not
for shell-use. (and that is what is needed to use pyuno from outside
OOo)

> [...] The only downside I saw is that it can get veeeery
> outdated because it won't break :). Actually Apple forcing
> OpenOffice.org to upgrade to a newer Python every once in a while is a
> good thing for the user even if it's more work for developers.

Oh, 2.3 is not veeeery outdated already?
Or otherwise put: Do you really expect that there will be a
python-update by Apple for Mac OSX 10.4?

And getting outdated: Well, then it would be the same on all operating
systems, especially windows as those come with OOo's python by
default.

> The difference is most meaningful for extensions. If we stick with one
> version, OpenOffice.org will become a less appealing platform for
> developers over time, as they are already used to Python 4.6 and we
> are still on 2.3.

Well, I'd say the contrary is true. With Mac OSX you're tied to python
2.3, I don't think there will ever by an update for python by Apple
for 10.4

And as OOo for other operating systems ship with OOo's python, I don't
see this as a problem. If there is need/demand for a newer python from
the side of extension developers, the python version that is included
with OOo will be updated.

> Thanks for working on this Christian! I'm not working on
> OpenOffice.org at the moment and I cannot offer any help, but even
> moreso it's good to see you have an interest in this!

Well in case this isn't clear:
The work is done already. Patches are attached to the issue(s). What
is left is just to integrate the patches into the official codeline
(for the most part done already) and of course decide on what should
the user get.

The decision I demand here is not a technical one. It is a "political" one.

I.e. what should configure default to. OOo's own python (as is the
case for windows and linux by default), or system python.

Those who build OOo by themselves will be able to just use
--with[out]-system-python, but only very, very few Mac users will
build their own copy of OOo. Thus it is important to decide on the
default, what the installsets offered from www.openoffice.org will
include (or not include)

ciao
Christian