Neal, for years I've been using Color It!.  In the process of upgrading it
to v. 4.5 recently, I learned that Color It! is essentially Photoshop Light
and it costs a fraction of Photoshop.  I don't remember what the original
Color It! cost -- I'm guessing no more than $50, because I was even more of
a cheapskate then than now -- but the upgrade was $39.95.  Since I've never
had Photoshop, I can't comment on how the two compare, but Color It! is
powerful and certainly does all I need, which is essentially amateur and
semi-pro design for various projects, including restoring old photos and
creating business logos.

Nolan