I use the same USB hb04 pendant. Using old image worked fairly good. Using
the recent image "bone-debian-8.7-machinekit-armhf-2017-02-12-4gb.img.xz"
gives the same problem: "libgcc_s.so.1 must be installed for pthread_cancel
to work", I updated and upgraded and still the same. "libgcc_s.so." is
install correctly and seams fine.

I tried
https://www.dropbox.com/s/0z7k0eylr5ppcu6/image_SEM600_HB04_13_May_2017.xz?dl=0.

It turns out, it is from 2016.04.10 Debian 7.11 with Kernel 3.8.13. After
changing password and making some room it workes fine.