On 2/18/2018 6:11 PM, Richard Thornton wrote:

> Should I use the Terasic, also I see the DE0-Nano_DB25, do I need that with
> the G540, if I do, is it possible to have the board made up with the
> components installed (I was thinking of using jumper wires from the Terasic
> directly to a DB25)?

That can work if you don't have any signals over 3.3V.  The
DE0-Nano_DB25 adapter board has FET based bus translation chips that
protect the FPGA from 5V signals.

In addition to the 5V protection, you may want or need additional
protection on the I/O signals.  In a typical setup using Mesa
hardware, you have an FPGA board (with built-in 5V protection)
connected to an I/O board that provides isolation and additional
drive, for example a 5i25 FPGA card and 7i76 daughtercard.

The DE0-Nano + the DE0-Nano_DB25 adapter board would be the same as
the 5i25.  Whether or not you need something like the 7i76 depends on
your system, but it's generally not a great idea to connect pins
directly tied to the FPGA to long cables winding around a large
machine with lots of EMI.  You can probably get away with tying the
stepper signals directly to the FPGA board but things like limit
switches and encoder signals can easily pick up enough EMI to fry the
FPGA if you're not careful.

> Is my understanding correct, I install machinekit on the Terasic, it's
> headless, so I install something else on to a PC with a GUI and use this to
> send the gcode to the Terasic?

Yes.

> I'm thinking I would want a pendant attached to the Terasic, I don't want
> to spend more that $100 on this, is there something I can get online that
> will work on machinekit?

There are a variety of pendents available, and quite a few of them
already have HAL components to use them.

--
Charles Steinkuehler
char...@steinkuehler.net