On Sunday, April 22, 2018 at 7:13:49 AM UTC-5, Bas de Bruijn wrote:

> The stuff I did a few years ago was creating a node which listens to a ROS
> joint_path_command topic, jointtrajectory message. These segments (point1
> time1, point2 time2, etc) are put in a HAL ringbuffer.
>
> Then on the HAL side, the ringbuffer samples are read, and interpolated.
> Which results in a position-cmd per HAL cycle (1ms for example)
>
> So in a nutshell: ROS does planning in non-RT and Machinekit Hal does the
> playout.
>

> Mind: you still have to take care of initializing your hardware, homing
> joints etc. ROS doesn't do that. Also creating you robot model urdf and
> making moveit configurations for that.

I found the 'hello world' repo in your github account
<https://github.com/luminize/ros_hello_machinekit>.  This doesn't seem like
a complete example, though.  Are you doing the initialization and homing in
the scripts here?  What about your URDF and moveit config?

> What's realistically possible with the current state of machinekit?
>

> Short now: interpolate segments in HAL and use the values further on, with
> whatever HAL logic/setup you come up with
>
> Later: HAL as a ros_control resource.

What will a 'ros_control resource'  do that can't be done now?   Is this
just packaging and discoverability or are you talking about core
functionality?

> My questions are probably newbie which is why I was looking for blogs and
> examples to study.
>

> Apart from the ROS learning curve,
> I think that the big issue is that the legacy cnc documentation is
> irrelevant for setups that do not use CNC.
> Also, the focus has not been on HAL.
>
> Before I even think of writing stuff i'd like to know what you all want to
> know. There's been a lot of effort put into making the documentation easier
> to work with, but that does not mitigate the outdated content.
>
> So updating HAL focused content: what questions would you like to have
> answered that are not here:
> http://www.machinekit.io/docs/index-HAL/
>
> Then I'll try to come up with some tutorial/steps which we can all
> discuss. And if the outcome is something sensible I'll put that to the docs.

I think the existing HAL documentation as reference material is fine.  What
I am looking for is more example projects -- things that demonstrate both
HOW to do something but also show WHY Machinekit/HAL is the right tool for
the job.

These are some really interesting tools but there doesn't seem to be much
activity around using them outside the CNC context.  I'd like to see more
end-to-end projects, especially where HAL/Machinekit is doing something
that would be much harder or impossible otherwise.

> Here's a link to my blog with a video I made a couple weeks ago:
> http://sliptonic.com/lenny-the-big-dumb-bot/
>

> That's a nice sturdy looking robot!
>
> Thanks.  It really is a nice piece of hardware -- servo driven harmonic
drives. I'd really like to do something cool with it.