On Apr 20, 2013, at 7:14 PM, mikecap <mike...@me.com> wrote:

>>> The Mac Mini is always on, as is the Mac Pro.  With an Airport Express
>>> (AE), I could connect the AE to the receiver in the living room.  Then I
>>> could choose the multiple speaker option in iTunes (on the Mac Pro) and
>>> have audio play directly from iTunes on the Mac Pro through the speakers in
>>> the living room.  This should work, but it would require additional cables,
>>> and since the Mac Mini is already connected to the sound system, I'd like
>>> to use that if possible.
>>
>> That really is your cleanest option. The only extra cabling would be power
>> for the AEX, and an optical audio cable from the AEX to the stereo. Since
>> the mini doesn't connect to the stereo via optical, there shouldn't be any
>> conflict there. The added benefit is that you can use the Remote app for iOS
>> (way better on iPad than iPhone) for a full-screen album art controller,
>> without having to deal with Screen Sharing (though that will work as well).
>
> You could also just get AirServer (http://www.airserver.com) for the mini and
> make it your target for iTunes on your Pro.  If you've got an iOS device you
> could then control it all from Apple's Remote app.
>
> Mike

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the suggestion.  I checked out the AirServer web site, but it
sounded as if it would only allow streaming from an iOS device to a Mac.  Do
you know whether it allows streaming (at least audio streaming) from one Mac to
another Mac?  If so, should I be able to play music from iTunes on my Mac Pro
and have it come out of my sound system (connected to my Mac Mini) without
actually having to fiddle with the Mac Mini?  If so, that would be great (and
also a fairly inexpensive solution, since AirServer is part of the current
MacHeist bundle for $9.99).

Thanks,

Gregg