What's scary about this is that the response "not a number" is often a response
directly from the hardware.

If, like me, you are lucky enough to have on hand an external drive with
relatively virgin copies of various Apple operating systems, you could boot one
of them and see if you get the same result. It's possible that you will get
this result no matter which operating system you boot on that hardware, whereas
if you take the same drive and boot someone else's Mac with it, you may get
proper results. That would pretty definitively show that the problem is your
chip.