I guess it's sounding more like a software problem than a hardware problem...

From: Macs R We <macs...@macsrwe.com<mailto:macs...@macsrwe.com>>
Date: Wednesday, January 8, 2020 at 8:26 PM
To: Gregg Dinse <di...@niehs.nih.gov<mailto:di...@niehs.nih.gov>>
Cc: "MacOSX-talk@omnigroup.com<mailto:MacOSX-talk@omnigroup.com>"
<MacOSX-talk@omnigroup.com<mailto:MacOSX-talk@omnigroup.com>>
Subject: Re: problem with Calculator app

I get Not a Number using either your keystrokes or mine. This is weird.

On Jan 8, 2020, at 6:23 PM, Dinse, Gregg (NIH/NIEHS) [C]
<di...@niehs.nih.gov<mailto:di...@niehs.nih.gov>> wrote:

My problem machine is at the office.  I'm at home now and the Calculator app
works fine on that mac.

I guess there are multiple ways to calculate exp(-1).  What I have been doing
is the following.  I open the Calculator app and set View/Scientific.  I click
on 1, then the +/- key, and then the eˣ key.  At home, the results field shows
1, and then -1, and then 0.367879... as I click those 3 keys.  At the office, I
got 1 and then -1 and then "Not a number".  As you noted, another way to
calculate exp(-1) is to click the minus sign, then 1, then the equals sign, and
then the eˣ key.  This gives the correct response at home, but I did not try
that at the office.  In any event, both should function properly and at least
one does not give the correct answer on my iMac at the office.

Over the next day or two, I will boot my iMac at the office from an external
disk with a version of the OS for which the Calculator app works fine when
booting at home.  Hopefully this will help me figure out if it's a hardware or
software problem.

Gregg