I agree. The Time Capsule suffers from the same problem as an "all in one"
stereo system. You can get much more capable routers nowadays, for much less.
And for a long time, there have been many capable network-attached storage
boxes (which is all the other side of the TC was), the main problem having been
that the odd stuff Time Machine wants to do would often make the third-party
ones cake the bed. But now that any Apple computer can be a central Time
Machine server, it's time to retire the big white boxes.

> On Jan 8, 2020, at 5:31 PM, Neil Laubenthal <n...@laubenthal.net> wrote:
>
> A Time Capsule is just an AirPort Extreme (or maybe just an Airport depending
> on it’s age) with a drive built in…I think in the setup you can set up hours
> when MAC addresses can connect…or maybe you have to do it by device names,
> can’t remember. However…unless I’m misremembering you can set up rules for
> when connections are allowed to particular devices.
>
> At this point though…the Airport line is getting pretty long in the tooth and
> not up to the latest standards so it might be time to rejigger your setup a
> bit. There are many fine wifi routers these days and setting up so a
> particular device alway gets the same IP from the DHCP server and then
> limiting access hours for particular IPs or names or MAC addresses is easy.
> Of course…that would knock out your ability to use it for Time Machine…but if
> you have any Mac that is always on like an iMac or a mini or whatever…you can
> just stick a USB drive on it and use it instead of the Time Capsule for the
> TM destination. That’s what I do with my mini…and drives are cheap…I’e gone
> to almost exclusively 2.5 inch drives for this…I like the Seagate Backup Plus
> brand…a 4TB model is in the 100 buck range. My mini is the file server in our
> RV and has one of these attached to serve as both data and TM
> destination…along with 3 others that get CarbonCopyCloner duplicates at
> various times through the week and another 2 that live out in the car and
> truck so we kinda/sorta/best we can do have an “offsite” backup as well.
> We’re moving out of the RV in the next few months after 8 years of full time
> travel and back into a normal house with real high speed internet and
> unlimited bandwidth and I’ll be rejiggering my backup scheme as well so
> there’s a cloud backup in addition to the in-house and in the car ones.
>
>> On Jan 8, 2020, at 7:15 PM, Jean-Christophe Helary
>> <jean.christophe.hel...@traduction-libre.org
>> <mailto:jean.christophe.hel...@traduction-libre.org>> wrote:
>>
>> turn it off in the evening so that the kids don't spend too much time on
>> their devices in bed.

> There are only three kinds of stress; your basic nuclear stress, cooking
> stress, and A$$hole stress. The key to their relationship is Jello.
>
> neil

  Macs R We -- Personal Macintosh Service and Support
    in the Wickenburg and far Northwest Valley Areas.
                            http://macsrwe.com