I have an older iPad A1430 that has a nearly-dead battery. It powers on with
the "dead battery" icon, and when connected to a charger, it charges for a
while then enters the boot-up process. It hangs during the Apple logo with a
frozen little rotating activity icon. It then reboots and repeats this cycle
over and over.

Is there any way to get the battery to charge? I've had it on the charger for
days, and it just goes through the above sequence repeatedly. Is the process
for replacing the battery to remove the front screen?

Or, is this iPad toast? Shouldn't it be able to boot up connected to power (5V
3.5A) even with a weak or dead battery?

-Carl