In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
 [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Michael Stearne) wrote:

> That's really cool.  I'm a lot better with Perl.  But I guess you don't
> get any of the application tie ins like you do with AppleScript.

Sure you can.  Someone just needs to port the Mac:: modules, and then
you'll have Mac::Glue, which can do nearly everything anything
AppleScript can do (as far as controlling and talking to applications),
using the same vocabulary (but with a Perl syntax).

   use Mac::Glue;
   $itunes = new Mac::Glue 'iTunes';
   $itunes->play;

Mac::Glue works from MacPerl under Classic to control Mac OS X apps too,
somewhat (I've not tested it extensively, and at least on problem
involves the droplet to create the "glue" for an application doesn't yet
understand Mac OS X apps).

In the case of iTunes, I created the glue using the Classic version of
iTunes, and used it as above to control the Mac OS X version of iTunes,
running MacPerl from Classic.

And like I said, if the Mac:: modules (AppleEvents, Events, etc.) are
ever ported to Mac OS X, you'll be able to do the same under perl for
Mac OS X.  I don't know when that will happen.  One thing is nearly
certain: it will happen before I make the switch to Mac OS X as my main
box.  :-)  But that might not be for quite some time.  Mac OS 9 is quite
comfortable, and Mac OS X is not, for now.

--
Chris Nandor                      [EMAIL PROTECTED]    http://pudge.net/
Open Source Development Network    [EMAIL PROTECTED]     http://osdn.com/