On 1/24/02 11:43 AM, "Dan Kogai" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On 2002.01.25, at 01:17, Cranz, Gregory wrote:
>>> Please, pretty please, carbonize MacPerl.
>>
>> I shudder to think of having to differentiate between both versions when
>> debugging or having a conversation on this thread.
>>
>> IMHO, MacPerl was a stopgap that kept the Mac in the game until we've
>> got OS/X i.e. Un*x to work with.  It was wonderful & I used it profusely.
>
>  I am not in need of "MacPerl X" or "Carbonized MacPerl" myself, too.
> Still I find no reason for objecting MacPerl X.  Windoze come w/ cygwin
> perl and ActivePerl.  MacPerl X for OS X can be what ActivePerl is for
> Windoze.  Or how about ProjectBuilder support Perl for those who are in
> need of  IDE?
>  As Larry Wall says, there are more than one way to do it.

My experiments have shown that the perl that ships with OSX, which is
(more or less) a stock UNIX perl will work fine in creating GUI applications
or perl apps that talk to OSA.  IOW, it is possible to create full
double-clickable MacOSX GUI apps with perl that talk to Carbon.

Two things need to be done:

1) Carbonize the Mac::* modules.  There are some issues with line
terminators, customizations to the MacPerl make environments, callbacks
into MacPerl and access to OS data structures that need to be worked out.
However, I'm confident that work on carbonizing the Mac::* modules (or
Mac::Carbon::* or Carbon::* or whatever they'll be called) will be started
soon.

2) A tool needs to be written to create stand-alone double-clickable perl
application bundles.  This would also, of course, allow for drag & drop.
Experiments have shown that this is possible but more testing is needed
to find and fix potential problems.

No one, as far as I know, is contemplating yet another distribution of
perl for MacOSX.  There's too many pre-installed perl's that shipped
with MacOSX to do that anyway.

Cheers,
Rob
Robert S. Mah