On Monday, April 15, 2002, at 07:43 , Bill -Sx- Jones wrote:

> On 4/15/02 10:34 AM, "drieux" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> on a vt52 dial up with only sed as your editor....
>
> Yes - and THAT is why I only use a Mac  :)
>
> So I don't have use vt52 OR sed;

my complements to your good fortune!

But given that at times I have scrambled Jeeves, my MacOSX
box - and had to scramble back through the ssh connection
from some other box - and have a polite 'chat' with code

        "that should have worked, honest,
         it shouldn't have done that....."

you will forgive me for retaining 'the fear'....

Don't get me wrong - GUI's are Great, they are Cool, they
have their place in the inventory.... I was happy to do
my 'intro to assembler' on the mac... even if janisch
thought I might not be taking it as seriously when I
turned in homework assignments in High Gothic Font ...
{ ok, so I blame that on the fact that in the eighties
it was fun to have something other than line printers...}

But since folks are using OSX boxes as web servers and
not merely as the upgrade for their desk top - there are
gooder habits to collect that come from a 'leave it alone
on the serve' that most 'mac' point and clickers are just
coming to get their head around...

ciao
drieux

---