Andrew Brosnan wrote:
> On 10/3/02 at 1:12 PM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Puneet Kishor) wrote:
>

>>Folks,
>>
>>Two parts --
>>
>>1. Only tangentially perl related (in that, I want to edit perl
>>scripts) residing on a remote machine connected via ssh. Is there a
>>way to actually mount an ssh connected machine's hd on my ibook so I
>>can open the scripts on the remote machine via my local editor of
>>choice?
>>

> You can mount a remote server on your desktop via Samba:
>
> Finder Go Menu -> Connect to server (or Cmd K)
> In address type (I think) smb://www.hostname.com/username

well, only if smbd (the samba daemon) is running on the remote server.
Samba is generally for making *nix fs appear on Win boxes, no? I am
talking ssh here. I tried something like so...

% ssh -l username -L 10139:remotehost:139 remotehost sleep 300

(139 is the samba port... I mapped it above to the local 10139 port).

Then I went to the finder and tried to connect to
smb://remotehost:139/ but that did not work... got error -36. So, I did
try it, but...

> -or-
>
> Using BBEdit choose File -> Open from FTP Server

No, I can't use ftp. The remote box has sshd running, no ftpd, no telnetd...

I guess, I just want it confirmed whether it can be done via ssh or not.
If not, then I can embark on a different torture quest.

Thanks,

pk/