I guess this is what comes of expecting things to be more complicated
than they actually are :-)

On Monday, October 7, 2002, at 09:25 PM, John Delacour wrote:
> If you change the extension of junk.pl you've just created to .command
> and double-click it, it will launch the Terminal and the script will
> run.
This is what I'd read but it doesn't work for me- it opens the script
in the applicaton used to create it

On Monday, October 7, 2002, at 09:15 PM, Rafael K. Kobylinski wrote:
> Check the file info dialog - maybe the real extension is .txt and is
> set to be not visible, maybe the preferred application gets into the
> way. The .command extension works for me.
Oddly enough I hadn't checked this - OSX appears to use the file
extension for a lot of stuff - the file extension was correct, however
I needed to change the application to terninal.app.

On Monday, October 7, 2002, at 09:25 PM, John Delacour wrote:
> Rather a clunky way to do things.  A neater way would be so use
> AppleScript or a shell script.   Terminal does not need to be invoked
> or running.
that's true but I know perl and I haven't used AppleScript since around
OS 7  so until I can figure out how to write an AppleScript wrapper for
perl this'll have to do :-)-
however as the script in question outputs to the clipboard I don't
actually get a terminal window opening.

Robin