Thanks for the help, everyone. I've spent much of the afternoon trying to find out how to get the Developer Tools CD that doesn't come with new Macs. After a couple of calls to Apple I was finally directed to <http://developer.apple.com>, but that didn't help much. To download the software I need to be registered. Apparently I am already registered, but the only passwords I can think of don't work. When I try to get help, they ask me for my birth date. I can remember that: April 22 (1935). "Nope," Apple says, "The authentication provided doesn't match our records."

Catch 22. I'm still in the same quandary. I can't "make" anything in OS X!

So I've bought a new machine whose system is crippled and which doesn't have the "Developer" CD that store-bought versions of OS X have. Well, my new 17" iMac looks nice, but I guess I'll be doing Perl on my Power Computing tower for a while. I have all the tools I need there.

Exercise, using Bit::Vector, find the one nonsquare multiple of 4 less than 1 million that is not the sum of a square and a prime. I'd like to see how long this exercise takes on my new machine, but, unfortunately, I can't use Bit::Vector.

Regards,

Vic

--
*---* mailto:vic@;norton.name