On Wednesday, November 13, 2002, at 08:31  PM, David Wheeler wrote:

On Wednesday, November 13, 2002, at 05:48  PM, Ken Williams wrote:

So I can just type "cpan Mac::Carbon" in the Location bar, and it does the search. Real slick. I've also got them for google.com & m-w.com.
Yeah, I heard there was a way to do this with Mozilla, too, but it didn't work with Chimera when I tried it.

do the following --

open up the Navigator (aka Chimera) package (show contents in finder), and open up Navigator:Contents:MacOS:defaults:pref:all.js with your favorite text editor.

Find the following code block
// URI fixup prefs
pref("browser.fixup.alternate.enabled", true);
pref("browser.fixup.alternate.prefix", "www.");
pref("browser.fixup.alternate.suffix", ".com");

// URI fixup prefs
pref("browser.fixup.alternate.enabled", true);
pref("browser.fixup.alternate.prefix", "search.cpan.org/search?query=");
pref("browser.fixup.alternate.suffix", "&m=.com");

save, and restart Chimera. Type the name of a package in the address bar and find it directly on cpan. If the package name has spaces, replace the spaces with +.

In order to search Google instead (which is what I prefer, because Google finds cpan stuff anyway, make the three lines like so --

// URI fixup prefs
pref("browser.fixup.alternate.enabled", true);
pref("browser.fixup.alternate.prefix", "www.google.com/search?q=");
pref("browser.fixup.alternate.suffix", "&m=.com");

puneet.