On Wednesday, November 13, 2002, at 09:32 PM, Chris Nandor wrote:
In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
 [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Pete Prodoehl) wrote:

There is a Mycroft http://mycroft.mozdev.org/ plugin for CPAN I believe...

Which should be compatible with Sherlock.
That's the old Sherlock.  Sherlock 3, new with Jaguar, is completely
different.  The other ones were just little text files which described
how to send and process search forms.  Sherlock 3 is web services and
JavaScript, and designing a UI rather than just a few text parameters.
Neither Sherlock 3 or Watson are "extensible." (I'm an emacs fan.)

The old Sherlock -- 1 and 2 -- was a very useful, easily modified tool. Sherlock 3 on the other hand is a marketing vehicle. It has very little use for anyone other than the "dumb consumer" who wants to find out what movie is playing locally.

What is really needed is an Open Source re-implementation of Sherlock 2.

I haven't had a chance to review the Sherlock 3 SDK yet, but if you can implement a channel by simply creating a plist, or modify, say the Internet search to scan other search engines without having to really jump through hoops, it would be a big win... but I'm not holding my breath.

There are literally hundreds of sherlock plugins out there for 1 and 2 that allowed access to all sorts of "obscure" web search functions that are unlikely to ever generate enough interest from "sophisticated" users who will spend the time developing plugins for Sherlock 3, let alone Watson.

T.T.F.N.
William H. Magill
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
[EMAIL PROTECTED]