On Wednesday, December 25, 2002, at 01:57 PM, pudge wrote:

The way the #! line should work is not that it looks at $^X but that it
looks at $Config{startperl}.  So if your startperl is #!/usr/bin/perl,
that's what it should use.
That explains it. I tend to test batches of related scripts all at once. So, when I install each Perl, I let it create the /usr/bin/perl symlink, and set startperl to /usr/bin/perl. That way I don't have to change a bunch of scripts - I just fiddle with the /usr/bin/perl symlink, and whatever version of Perl it points to "just works."

It looks like what's happening is, when I run Configure.PL with /usr/bin/perl5.8.0, it reads $Config{startperl}, which says "/usr/bin/perl". So, that's what it writes into the makefile, test scripts, etc. But, if /usr/bin/perl doesn't point to /usr/bin/perl5.8.0, that's not the right thing to do...

Hmmm... maybe I'll take a look at MakeMaker. It shouldn't be too heinous a task to have it compare startperl and $^X, and if they're not equal, get the version numbers for each, and if the versions don't match, ask you which version to use for the makefile and test scripts.

Oh, and by the way - Merry Christmas everyone. :-)

sherm--

UNIX: Where /sbin/init is Job 1.