On Sunday, Mar 9, 2003, at 19:53 US/Pacific, Vicki Brown wrote:

OK, where is "site_perl"? ... or the moral equivalent thereof?

[jeeves: 94:] perl -MConfig -e 'print "site lib: $Config{installsitelib} \nVendor Lib: $Config{installvendorlib}\n"'
site lib: /Library/Perl
Vendor Lib: /Network/Library/Perl
[jeeves: 95:]

This works for both perl on apple, and on *nix boxes.

Given Apple's "unusual" installation directories, if I have a set of .pm's I
need to install (no bundle, no Makefile, I just need to put them in the
"right place")... do I put them in /Library/Perl/darwin?
/Library/Perl/darwin/auto?

The real question here is if they are 'pure perl' without any actual XS stuff, then they are by definition 'architecture independent' and should path from

/Library/Perl

eg: if I have a package that is

Foo::Bar::Baz

then I want to make sure that I have constructed the paths

/Library/Perl/Foo/Bar/

and put that Baz.pm there.

At which point you may wish to correct the core defect here,
which is that your collection of 'perl modules' would be simpler
to manage had you started with say h2xs to simplify the process
of building out your 'source tree' - and generating the requisite
Makefile.PL files.

I have some information at:

http://www.wetware.com/drieux/CS/lang/Perl/PM/

The Good Enough Case Study is at:

http://www.wetware.com/drieux/CS/Proj/PID/

This way one starts out from a safe beginning and does not
have to concern one's self with the vagaries of how both
the Vendor Did things with 'where is site_perl' as well
as how the FreakingPerlFascistSystemAdmin[1] did things:

eg:

[jeeves: 6:] rlogin vladimir
Last login: Sat Mar 8 12:55:33 from jeeves
Sun Microsystems Inc. SunOS 5.9 Generic May 2002
vladimir: 52:] perl -MConfig -e 'print "site lib: $Config{installsitelib} \nVendor Lib: $Config{installvendorlib}\n"'
site lib: /usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.6.1
Vendor Lib: /usr/local/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.6.1
vladimir: 53:] rlogin xlotl
Last login: Tue Feb 25 15:57:11 from jeeves
Copyright (c) 1980, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1990, 1991, 1993, 1994
The Regents of the University of California. All rights reserved.

FreeBSD 4.6-RELEASE (GENERIC) #0: Tue Jun 11 06:14:12 GMT 2002

Welcome to FreeBSD!
xlotl: 52:] perl -MConfig -e 'print "site lib: $Config{installsitelib} \nVendor Lib: $Config{installvendorlib}\n"'
site lib: /usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.6.1
Vendor Lib:
xlotl: 53:] rlogin xanana
Last login: Sat Mar 8 11:10:12 from jeeves
xanana: 52:] uname -a
Linux xanana 2.4.18-10smp #1 SMP Wed Aug 7 11:17:48 EDT 2002 i686 unknown
xanana: 53:] perl -MConfig -e 'print "site lib: $Config{installsitelib} \nVendor Lib: $Config{installvendorlib}\n"'
site lib: /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.6.1
Vendor Lib: /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.6.1
xanana: 54:]

Since you leave those niggling details to be worked out when
the installer types

        perl Makefile.PL
        make test
        make install

And IF you opt to pull your POD out of the Baz.pm into Baz.pod
then it will get parked appropriately as well.... Since of course
there is nothing more important than being able to go

perldoc Foo::Bar::Baz

and there in the synopsis section you have all the cut and
paste solutions to simplify the process of generating the
code that will use your Foo::Bar::Baz module...

Then assuming that you shift into creating perl modules which
actually do have architecturally dependent components you will
again not have to worry about that part...

And at that point you will also have found a seamless way
to park all of this in which ever source code control system
you find useful. In Apple you should be very familiar with CVS,
old sun freaks like SCCS, die hard BSD heads are still soldiering
on with RCS, others come up with compromises such as perforce and ...

This way as bug reports come in from the field, you can keep
upgrading the product appropriately and re-distributing the tarball....

ciao drieux

---

[1] technically I am the site's FreakingPerlFascistSystemAdmin
but I have to do it in a way that conforms to the Proprieter's
penchance for deeply unresolved issues about BSD v. SYS V stuff
that goes back to system 7 issues .... But we think that the
medication is starting to help some....

8-)