It is fixed in the LWP installer.

On Thursday, June 19, 2003, at 05:42 PM, Robin wrote:

On Friday, June 20, 2003, at 07:23 am, Ken Williams wrote:

On Wednesday, June 18, 2003, at 03:54 PM, Robin wrote:

On Wednesday, June 18, 2003, at 11:34 pm, David R. Morrison wrote:

Has the problem with CPAN overwriting /usr/bin/head with /usr/bin/HEAD
been solved?

yes I believe so, thought this is one of the well documented problems I was referring to, the other being the LC_ALL environment variable.

I don't think it has been solved. ExtUtils::MakeMaker still defaults to using $Config{installscript} as the install location, and:

  % /usr/bin/perl5.6.0 -V:installscript
  installscript='/usr/bin';

I see in the Changes log a comment that this has been fixed in LWP, but I don't see it in the code for libwww-perl-5.69.
I said I thought it was fixed - to be honest I used the workaround of making a copy of HEAD and linking it into /usr/bin a goodly while ago - and have suffered no ill effects