On Tuesday, June 17, 2003, at 05:13 AM, Michael Maibaum wrote:

I would strongly recommend against this approach, or if you use it,
expect problems if/when you upgrade to Mac OS X 10.3.

The darwinports perl builds fine to the best of my knowledge, and if it
doesn't I want to know as I maintain the package. (On that note, if
anyone has any suggestions for package variants that would be useful let
me know, I'm going to add a variant for a debugging perl, threads,
anything else?)

What will happen if I use the darwinports perl? Does it automagically replace the existing perl in terms of the command line and what not? Or would I have to use "/opt/bin/perl" for 5.8.0 (and just "perl" for 5.6)?

I'm asking all these questions because I have hosed my perl more than once out of ignorance (most people find installing and configuring perl a trivial task, I'm sure) and want it mostly for using prebuilt scripts and tools, not for writing my own perl (shudder).

Thanks!
--
Lorin Rivers
Marketing Professional