On Tue, Jun 17, 2003 at 04:24:23PM +0900, Robin wrote:

> On Tuesday, June 17, 2003, at 12:24  pm, Sherm Pendley wrote:
>
> >On Monday, June 16, 2003, at 10:54 PM, Lorin Rivers wrote:
> >
> >>What is the best, simplest, and easiest approach to having a rock
> >>solid, reasonably "standard" perl setup?
> >If you really and truly need 5.8.0 - and there are some good reasons
> >you might, such as improved Unicode support - your best bet would be
> >to get it from darwinports.
>
> Dunno I used CPAN.pm and provided you follow the instructons at
> http://developer.apple.com/internet/macosx/perl.html
> which with the exception of setting the LC_ALL environment variable, is
> pretty concise, it went pretty smoothly.

I would strongly recommend against this approach, or if you use it,
expect problems if/when you upgrade to Mac OS X 10.3.

The darwinports perl builds fine to the best of my knowledge, and if it
doesn't I want to know as I maintain the package. (On that note, if
anyone has any suggestions for package variants that would be useful let
me know, I'm going to add a variant for a debugging perl, threads,
anything else?)

--
Dr Michael A. Maibaum
internet: [EMAIL PROTECTED]       |     http://mike.maibaum.org/