On Wed, 10 Sep 2008, Stephen M. Harris wrote:

> Whining, cussing, whatever it is, I agree I should not have done it,
> but I have been trying to un-perl myself for four - count 'em -
> years, starting (many times) with the unsubscribe link, which I have
> just tried again.

If the unsubscribe link isn't working, then maybe you are not subscribed
to the mailing list using your current email address.  I suspect you
subscribed many years ago using a different address.  When you changed
email addresses, instead of unsubscribing from mailing lists with your
old address and re-subscribing with the new one, you just set up email
forwarding from the old address and forgot about the whole thing.

To unsubscribe you will have to use this old email address again.  Try
looking at the headers again to see if you find some hint of an older
address of yours.   E.g. something like this:

        by mx.activestate.com (Postfix) with SMTP id EF65150002
        for <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>; Wed, 10 Sep 2008 07:58:54 -0700 (PDT)

The last line should show the actual subscription address.  Or look at
the return path:

You can see that the mailing list manager has encoded the subscriber
email address in there as well (to detect bounces and email loops).

Cheers,
-Jan