On Jul 10, 2009, at 10:02 AM, Noah Garrett Wallach wrote:

Hi there,

I am not sure why but the cpan install is failing on my osx 10.5.7 machine. Looks like force is an option is that the recommended way to go?

Command:
sudo perl -MCPAN -e 'install CPAN'

Since it appears that the current effort to 'install CPAN' is into the standard Apple distribution, why not just download and install the version of AppleEvents that is desired?

eg: http://search.cpan.org/~cnandor/Mac-Carbon-0.77/

and do the force install on just that.

This would satisfy the requirement for

That's what I've done in the past. It seems Mac::Carbon has a failing test, which cascades to File::HomeDir. http://rt.cpan.org/Public/Dist/Display.html?Name=File-HomeDir for more info on the tests.

that kenny noted.

note, CPAN is installed by default with apple's 10.5.7, and it has the nice fix:

  @INC:
    /Library/Perl/Updates/5.8.8
    /System/Library/Perl/5.8.8/darwin-thread-multi-2level
    /System/Library/Perl/5.8.8

so that any of the dual life modules can be updated independently.

So I am a little confused on why there is a need to 'install it'.

ciao
drieux