At 17:29 -0500 16/01/2011, Levan, Jerry wrote:

Is doing a:

    sudo perl -MCPAN -e shell

The standard way of preparing to install modules?

Seems like root might only be needed for actual installation...

With sudo you are superuser; that's quite good enough.

I never do it that way.  I just type sudo cpan, as I said.

In fact I don't usually do that because I work mainly with my own installation of perl, so I do

$ cd /usr/local/bin; sudo ./cpan

in order to get the modules installed where I want them and not in the Apple installation. I wouldn't trust Apple to overwrite their own installation. I trust them to take my money and not much else.

JD