On 2017-8-11 03:41 , Bradley Giesbrecht wrote:
I think Josh is referring to 3NF normalization (third normal form). I don’t
think this use case warrants this complexity. I think it is fine for two
snapshot id’s to reference the same port+variant combination. When a snapshot
id is deleted, cascade delete.

Again I'm not sure how this differs from what I wrote. A snapshot contains any number of ports, and a port can be in any number of snapshots.

Don't worry about having a completely textbook normalised DB, but do avoid replicating large amounts of the data. And TBH a join query would be one of the simplest parts of all this...

- Josh