Ryan,

I did not mean to imply that the MacPorts file, mysqld, is corrupt.  Somehow it
is getting corrupted on my system, and I intend to find out how.  I did not
know that every system will treat mysqld differently.  That is good to know.
However, that information just adds to the mystery.  My system is a bread and
butter Mac OS X version 10.6.6.

The reason I asked for the file contents, such as a text file, is that if I get
the executable file my system might mess it up.

I will continue to pursue other avenues to solve the mystery of why my system
corrupts the MacPorts mysqld.  As I have more information, I will pass it on to
the email list.  It might help someone.

>From what I have learned, at this point I doubt that the MacPorts wiki is out
>of date.

David

On Mar 9, 2011, at 12:06 AM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:

On Mar 8, 2011, at 19:51, David Gentry wrote:

> My Mac appears to corrupt the mysqld file whenever I download mysql5 and
> mysql5-server from MacPorts.  I would very much like to see a current copy of
> the contents of mysqld.  Maybe that way I can determine what my Mac is doing
> to mysqld.  Could someone please send me a copy of the contents of mysqld?

I can 100% assure you that if MacPorts extracts the downloaded file (and then
patches, configures, builds, destroots, and installs it), it is not corrupt.
MacPorts includes checksums on all distfiles and will not proceed if the file
you downloaded is not exactly byte-for-byte the same file that I (in the case
of the mysql ports) verified works correctly.

mysqld is a compiled program, and how it is compiled depends on your operating
system version and processor architecture. So getting one from someone else
won't necessarily get you something that works on your system.

>From what you've written on this topic before, I have no reason so far to
>believe there is a fault in the mysqld program particularly. It's certainly
>possible our instructions in the wiki have gone out of date; I have not tried
>to follow them in a long time.

David J. Gentry
President
Good Things -- Small Packages, LLC