I understand.  Moving files around in other applications has not worked for me
either.  I was just experimenting with the MacPorts files, and I did learn some
important things, such as basedir and srcdir which the MySQL 5.1 Reference
Manual says are sometimes necessary to set up the main database.

David

On Mar 10, 2011, at 12:00 AM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:

On Mar 9, 2011, at 16:09, David Gentry wrote:

> I can resolve that error by moving mysqld to the same directory as
> mysql_install_db

We can't help you if you move things around after MacPorts has installed them
into the proper locations...