> On 12 Sep 2016, at 17:39, Lawrence Velázquez <lar...@macports.org> wrote:
>> I should read more documentation on “port select”. I think that “man port”
>> does not give an adequate explanation, and I would welcome a pointer to
>> fuller documentation about “port select”.
>
> The new documentation system has a "port-select" manpage, but I'm not sure if
> that has been released.

>> Presumably you have hard-wired this connection between a select group entry
>> name and some particular Apple binary. How do I find out which Apple binary?
>
> They're not really hardcoded. It's just that they've been out there for a
> while, and presumably people are using them.
>
> The symlinks to be created are described in a *_select port's "base" file.
> https://trac.macports.org/browser/trunk/dports/sysutils/python_select/files/base
>
> The *_select port itself can create select entries corresponding to the
> system-provided installations.
> https://trac.macports.org/browser/trunk/dports/sysutils/python_select/Portfile
>
> The paths to the system files are described in separate files.
> https://trac.macports.org/browser/trunk/dports/sysutils/python_select/files
>
> vq

You refer above to the “documentation system”. Could you be more explicit? Are
you referring to something that is part of a MacPorts installation—if so, what
is the file/directory name—or to an online document—if so what is the web
address?

I tried “man port-select” and got "No manual entry for port-select"

I had a look at the trac documents you refer to, but I cannot understand them
or their relevance to my question. They seem to be aimed at someone with more
competence and understanding.

David