On 10/28/16 9:58 PM, Richard L. Hamilton wrote:
> Am I right in thinking that  ffmpeg now requires libsdl2 while it previously
> required libsdl?  That causes ffmpeg to fail on 10.6.x, because libsdl2 fails:
>
> Error: org.macports.fetch for port libsdl2 returned: Building libsdl2
> requires OS X 10.7 SDK or later
> Error: Failed to install libsdl2
> Please see the log file for port libsdl2 for details:
>
> /opt/local/var/macports/logs/_opt_local_var_macports_sources_rsync.macports.org_release_tarballs_ports_devel_libsdl2/libsdl2/main.log
> Error: The following dependencies were not installed: libsdl2
> Error: Unable to upgrade port: 1
> To report a bug, follow the instructions in the guide:
>     http://guide.macports.org/#project.tickets

Yep, it was a recent upstream decision to remove support for sdl1 and replace
it with sdl2.  Their rationale is that
sdl2 is the mainstream version of the library and sdl has not been maintained
since about 2012. With the 3.2 release
this effects both ffmpeg and ffmpeg-devel.  See
http://ffmpeg.org/index.html#news for the announcement.

Our choice then is to upgrade the port and go with sdl2 or stick with sdl and
never upgrade the port again.  We chose
follow ffmpeg's update path.  But you could choose not to update locally and
stay with the ffmpeg <= 3.1.5 which only
supports sdl (not sdl2).  This is probably a better way to go than trying to
shoehorn the 10.7 SDK into a 10.6
environment.  Or if you're going to do that why not update to 10.7 or better.

However, sdl/sdl2 provides the only audio/video outdev that we support in
MacPorts which means that if you have to
have one or the other. Without an outdev, ffplay will not be configured/built
and you'll have no direct way to play
audio/video with ffmpeg.

Dave