Dear Thomas,

> PYTHONPATH=/opt/local/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/site-packages/:$PYTHONPATH

the problem is the PYTHONPATH variable, which should not point to a
Python version different from the one you are using.
Also, if you are using the MacPorts-provided Python, there is no need
to set PYTHONPATH, so my recommendation is to simply delete that line.
After deleting that line (and opening a new Terminal) you should get a
working Python 3.5 (the error for 'import sip' was not the only one).

> Macports seems to have amended my .profile on earlier occasions when I made
> Python upgrades, and I have never touched them. Actually, the $PATH
> modification appears three times there, because apparently it was never
> checked whether it was already there.

MacPorts edits the .profile only when you update MacPorts itself, not
when you update single ports.
Also, it only adds /opt/local/bin in front of the PATH and doesn't set
PYTHONPATH.
Those lines in your .profile come from a different source.
If you want to use only MacPorts' Pythons I would get rid also of the
lines setting the PATH:
> PATH="/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/bin:${PATH}"
> export PATH
and ensure instead that /opt/local/bin is the first path in PATH, as
MacPorts sets it.

Best wishes.
Davide