One might wonder at the number of python version ports.  I suspect a couple of
things that I don't know without a lot of digging would provide some
perspective:
* the OS version of python on the earliest OS MacPorts supports, and on each
subsequent OS version
* the python versions specifically required by various other ports (not just
x.y or later, and esp. not just 2.y or 3.y)
and maybe
* the degree of change policy for python minor versions (impacting not only the
previous point, but and non-MacPorts software that might be dependent on a
particular version)
(as the recent openssl switchover showed, some software has backwards
compatibility issues with what are supposedly minor version changes)

Depending on the results, with some effort, it might be possible to drop some
of the intermediate versions. But only if a later suitable (for everything
dependent on it) version is possible on every supported OS. And it would mean
bumping portfiles, and rebuilding everything depending on dropped versions.  It
probably wouldn't be worth the bother, and given all the constraints, might
only get rid of a few versions.

Compared to some of the even larger ports, or certain ports that do exhaustive
optimization, python versions aren't _that_ slow to build, so the only major
gain would be space.