Richard L. Hamilton wrote:
> One might wonder at the number of python version ports.  I suspect a couple
> of things that I don't know without a lot of digging would provide some
> perspective:
> * the OS version of python on the earliest OS MacPorts supports, and on each
> subsequent OS version

I've got both py27 & py37 running on 10.6.8 {i386,x86_64} so the OS is
not a problem

> * the python versions specifically required by various other ports (not just
> x.y or later, and esp. not just 2.y or 3.y)
> and maybe
> * the degree of change policy for python minor versions (impacting not only
> the previous point, but and non-MacPorts software that might be dependent on
> a particular version)> (as the recent openssl switchover showed, some
> software has backwards
compatibility issues with what are supposedly minor version changes)

In my experience with python3 then if it works in python3x then it also
works in python3x++

The big transitions were
    python25 -> python26
    python31 -> python32
and python27 is fundamentally incompatible with python37; eg the support
for utf-8

--
Bjarne D Mathiesen
Korsør ; Danmark ; Europa