Richard L. Hamilton wrote:
> Depending on the results, with some effort, it might be possible to drop some
> of the intermediate versions. But only if a later suitable (for everything
> dependent on it) version is possible on every supported OS. And it would mean
> bumping portfiles, and rebuilding everything depending on dropped versions.
> It probably wouldn't be worth the bother, and given all the constraints,
> might only get rid of a few versions.

so we've got 2 issues here :
    - which pythonXY the pyXY-{name} support
      and whether theese can be brought up to python37
    - whether any Portfile that demands a pythonXY that isn't python37
      can be updated to depend on python37 instead

We'll need some statistict / overview on this matter.
I'll look into this.

It's also a question about keeping the macports infrastructure up-to-date.

I've eg somehow gotten libsvm installed, and it has :
    Variants:  [+]java, [+]python27, python34, [+]tools, universal
as well as being seriously out-of-date:
    libsvm @3.20_2 -> Version 3.24, September 2019

--
Bjarne D Mathiesen