> On 9 Nov 2019, at 1:39 am, Ryan Schmidt <ryandes...@macports.org> wrote:
>

>> On Nov 8, 2019, at 16:06, Michael Newman wrote:
>>
>>> On Nov 7, 2019, at 06:34, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>>>
>>> If `port installed requested` shows things that you don't actually want,
>>> tell MacPorts by marking them as not requested:
>>>
>>> sudo port unsetrequested portname1 portname2 ...
>>>
>>> Then `sudo port reclaim` will be able to uninstall them, if they're not
>>> needed for anything else you've installed. Reclaim won't uninstall things
>>> it thinks you want.
>>
>> This set a little trap for me. For some reason, clamav, which I did request,
>> was not shown as requested. So, when I ran reclaim, it was removed. I was
>> puzzled at first when freshclam started to fail. I’ve reinstalled clamav now
>> and all is well. Is there some reason why clamav would not be flagged as
>> requested?
>
> MacPorts' ability to automatically uninstall ports you don't want and keep
> the ports you do want is only as good as the metadata recorded in the
> registry. If it's wrong, you have to fix it.
>
> If you ran `sudo port install clamav`, and it was not already installed,
> MacPorts should have marked it as requested. If clamav was automatically
> installed as a dependency of something else, then it would not have been
> marked requested.

That sounds like something we should fix to me. Is it not reasonable to expect
the port in this case, even if it was previously installed as a dependency, to
still be marked as requested in this case, as that is what the user did by
asking for it to be installed. The fact it already was shouldn’t matter in
terms of marking it as requested ?

Chris