Ian,
Thanks for a really nice suggestion.  Sadly, libkdegames has had an failure on
Mojave for the last 18 months.  There’s a purported solution followed by a
comment that it’s not the right way to do things which leaves me debating
whether to try a “not right way” solution that is reported to work but will
maybe cause strangeness down the road for things that are more critical than a
game.
Lenore