This is very interesting.
From
http://www2.edc.org/ncip/LIBRARY/vi/combo.htm
"inTOUCH (TeleSensory, Inc.)
For Macintosh. A software that works with the Optacon II to provide
tactile access and large print access to the Macintosh computer. As
the mouse is moved, inTOUCH shows the area of the screen around the
cursor on the Optacon display. Features are set from the keyboard.
Other features include: a camera mode that allows the user to switch
from the camera to the computer; a command that stretches the image to
increase legibility; a screen position command that raises a couple of
pins on the Optacon to indicate position of the cursor on the screen.
Price: $400."
I never knew that they upgraded the Opticon so that itcould be used
with a computer, let alone theMacintosh!  Just imagine what would
happen if we could make a modern version and use it with Leopard and
Voiceover.  So would this show you the screen tactually or just
indicate a position on the screen?  This is actually very important,
cause a friend of mine and I are interested in creating something
similar.  Thing is, he's a programmer and not an engineer and we're
both low on cash.  I'm thinking of writing a petition to send to
TeleSensory and maybe even Apple etc about creating a modern version
of the Opticon.  I think that with advances like the IPhone and other
software, the time is right for such a thing.  Granted, things like
the KNFB Reader are amazing and have their place.  But they can't
convey visual information to us in the same manner that feeling images
on a display can.  The remaining opticons aren't getting any newer.
Most of us won't ever get to see with our hands like that unless steps
are taken to insure that technology such as this is brought into the
21st century.  How many of you, especially students, educators and
those working in relatively graphical environments, would be willing
to sign such a petition?  If there are enough, I'll create a separate
group, comprised of us and other blind and interested parties so we
can getthis thing rolling.  In the meantime, I'll try and track down
the Opticons' creator or his daughter.  Perhaps, they can help.

All the best,
Eleni