Hello;  I don't know about upgrading an existing iphone, but I did
hear the news release from a t & t saying that they would honor their
previous promise to allow people to purchase the new iphone 3g at a
big discount if they purchased their current iphone within the last 18
months.  A new 3g will still cost 150 i think, but iw will have the
hardware to run voiceover.  Sorry, don't have a link to the story.
Good luck, Max