It works!!!!
I have an absolutely fabulous experience with my new iphone 3gs!!!!!!
Its so cool!

Ok, enough of that. I have had mine for about 4 days now. The first
day or two were a challenge, but once I got the hang of it I got to be
pretty proficiant. I am even getting to be productive at typing. I am
totally blind and use voiceover, not zoom. I've seen some rants about
how blind people could never type on a touchscreen keyboard but I am
here to say that's garbage. I suggest that anyone with interest go to
the nearest apple store and try it out. Don't base your choice on the
first 5 minutes, spend some time with it. Oh, bring some headphones
because it can be hard to hear with all that noise.
There is no way to activate Voiceover on the phone without itunes or
sighted assistance. To start VO, in case your salesperson doesn't
know, go to settings, general, scroll to accessability, and go to
voiceover. If there are any questions, I'll be happy to try and answer
them.
Jason