Hi,

There is most certainly a UNIX like driver for the touch screen
operations.  If you really feel like getting silicon under your
fingernails, you can probably hack that part of the system to do what
you want.  This action, however, is way outside of Apple coding
guidelines and may even invalidate the warranty as you would be
changing, in a fairly direct sense, how the hardware functions.  This
is how most Windows screen readers  work at least in some areas which
inserts that constant level of potential instability as such actions
might behave inconsistently because you are not supposed to be
wrapping drivers and since the driver doesn't know you (it can't) you
may run into some operational collisions.

Happy Hacking,
cdh