I can't speak for iCloud Drive, as that feature is not out yet. Using Dropbox
as an example, though, I think most people see it as a positive. Yes, it stores
your data in the cloud. That is not to say that it is only accessible when you
are online, though; Dropbox copies everything to your local hard drive (or
gives you the option to do so on iOS) so even if you have no internet access
you can still get to your files and folders. The down side is definitely
security; the government can see your files, depending on the service you use,
or someone who manages to hack into your account can do serious damage. That is
why I'm excited for iCloud Drive; enable two-factor authentication, and it is
suddenly almost impossible for anyone to access your files. These are just my
thoughts, and I'm not a security expert or anything. Personally, though, I'm
fine with putting my essential files (writing projects, programming projects,
resumes, and other essentials) in Dropbox, thus ensuring they are always backed
up no matter what happens to my local machines. Of course, services like
Crashplan or Carbonite can do similar things, but I prefer to just store the
essentials in the cloud; it costs less and it easier to manage when a restore
is necessary.
On Jul 2, 2014, at 11:14 PM, Robert C <gone.to.da...@gmail.com> wrote:

>   A message that was just posted prompts this question. It was not quite in
> line with that post so started a new one.
>
>   With so much attention to using online storage, such as Dropbox, iCloud and
> so on, there is no doubt there are advantages to doing this especially if
> one's offline storage is limited. But the downside?
>
>   What are the inherent risks in particular if one is not using offline
> storage, say for backups? Seems risky to rely on outside resources.
>
> Quote of the nanosecond . . .
> Most of us go to our grave with our music still inside of us.
> Robert & Annie Yanni ke7nwn
> E-mail-
> gone.to.da...@gmail.com

Have a great day,