I have found the braille to be pretty good on the iPad. I never got MBraille to
work form me on the iPad, but the Apple braille lets me actually type in
braille on my iPad. I actually find table top mode easier on the iPad, though
will probably use away mode on the phone.
There are some bugs but it's definitely usable as is.
Lisette