I have a friend who had a similar experience both with the OS and and
accessibility representative.
He wrote a letter to accessibil...@apple.com  I also wrote my own letter to
them expressing my displeasure with their most recent update. I don't think
either of us got a response, however you might want to try posting that note on
their Facebook page.
If you thinking of converting, check out the Samsung galaxy S5. I did. You will
have very similar if not in some areas superior accessibility than is currently
available in 8.1

Pam Francis